Book Your Trip!

Custom Search

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Holocaust Museum - Washington DC

The United States Holocaust Museum is a self-guided museum, presenting a narrative tour of over 900 artifacts, 70 video monitors, and 4 theaters including historic film footage and eyewitness testimonials. This museum is seperated into 3 areas, the Nazi Assault, the Final Solution, and the Last Chapter.

Ever since reading the book "Night" by Elie Weisel, I have been enthralled in learning everything there is to know about the Holocaust, so when I noticed that this museum was in DC, I knew I had to go. When we got into the Museum, we were given a real Camp Auschwitz I.D., and that's who we were supposed to portray during our visit there. I was a woman named Dora Eiger, and on her I.D. was her story, telling if she survived or not, and what she went through while at the camp. That alone sent chills up my spine. Going through the museum, we read about the history of Hitler, saw pictures of death and destruction, and read testimonials of survivors years after the Holocaust.

This experience, much like the one at Arlington National Cemetery, was humbling, and while going through this museum, it was almost all quiet. If anyone is a fan of autobiographies, or history of any sort, you won't want to miss the United States Holocaust Museum.


Tips on the Holocaust Museum:
-The Holocaust Museum is not recommended for young children. They said that first-time guests spend about 2-3 hours in the museum, so young children might get ancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment