Book Your Trip!

Custom Search

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Foshay Tower - Minneapolis

If anyone out there is an avid reader of my blog, they would know that I love seeing city's from the top, and to see my home city from above was very exciting for me. The Foshay Tower is the only building in Minneapolis with an observation deck. The Foshay Tower is the shortest skyscraper in Minneapolis, so it would offer a unique vantage point, looking up at all the buildings, unlike in most other cities. With that being said, the Foshay Tower was once the tallest skyscraper in Minneapolis!! I didn't believe it the first time I heard it, either!

When we got to the top of the Tower, I noticed it was really windy. Funny, I hadn't noted the wind on the streets...! The Foshay Tower is one of the few open-air observation deck left in the US of A, so we were sure to see for miles, fingerprint-free! Like many other observation decks that I've been in, the Foshay Tower had descrpitive plaques, telling me what I was looking at and in what direction I was looking in.

Looking north, you can see the Wells Fargo Building to the left. The top of the Wells Fargo Building lights up at night and puts an exclamation point on downtown Minneapolis. Other buildings to note looking north are the Capella Tower, and the IDS Building. To the east, you will be able to see downtown St. Paul, the twin city to Minneapolis, also buildings like the Campbell Mithun Tower, the Accenture Tower, and if you look close enough, you can see a portion of the Metrodome peeking around some buildings. To the south, I-35W dominates your view. My all-time favorite building is off to the southwest, the AT&T Tower. You can also see the Minneapolis Convention Center, and a few tall apartment buildings. To the west, you will see a vague sight of Minneapolis, but if you look through some buildings, you can see the top of the Target Center, and Target Field!

I was very satisfied after being to the top of my home city! It offered great views, and there was even a floor inside that had a video timeline of the Foshay's conception, to where it is now! All in all, a great experience!!

No comments:

Post a Comment