Book Your Trip!

Custom Search

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Lake Calhoun/Surrounding Lakes - Minneapolis

Lake Calhoun is such a serene place to be. This is another raved-about place that took me years to get to, and after I was there, I had no idea why it took me so long. Lake Calhoun is huge! It is just southwest of downtown Minneapolis, at the end of Hennepin Ave. People always seem to be hanging out here, whether they be running, boating, swimming, or just sitting o a bench looking out onto the waters. As the temperature turns nice and the calendars change to the spring months, people seem to find Calhoun. If you get to the right vantage point, you are looking over water and trees onto the Minneapolis skyline. Call me selfish and biased, but the Minneapolis skyline is my favorite. I try to find it everywhere possible, but if it's over a lake, it's even better! If you are looking for a relaxing afternoon, a good place to jog, or a place to play fetch with your dog, come to Lake Calhoun!

Minneapolis has over 15 lakes and wetlands, and that's just in the city! One can take an hour for lunch, find an area of water, and eat comfortably. No other major city can offer that. Minneapolis is a city of nature, and that further justifies why I continue to live here, despite the cold, which brings me to my next point.

Winter is also a great time to go to the lake. Many people in the upper midwest ice fish. As Minnesota is named the Land Of 10,000 Lakes for a good reason, one doesn't have to look very far for year-round activities. Ice fishing takes patience, but it's a great sport. You can bond with your buddy over beers and great stories while wasting away the day without a care in the world. People actually take off work and school for the openers! It's a way of life up here!

If anyone feels the need for an abundancy of water, Minneapolis wouldn't be a bad destination idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment