Book Your Trip!

Custom Search

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sculpture Gardens - Minneapolis

Before I moved to the Minneapolis area, I had no idea that there was a huge sculpture garden just west of I-94. I had driven that route too many times to mention, and little did I know, just on the other side of a line of trees was acres of sculpture gardens. To be completely honest, it wasn't until I was watching the Minneapolis auditions of American Idol in 2007 I believe and saw a cherry on a spoon that I started inquiring about this odd piece of art. Surely, it wasn't in downtown. How could it be? There isn't enough room for that. I have been downtown so many times and haven't seen a trace of it. Then I spent a few days at my brother's place in South Minneapolis and I begged him to take me there.

Holy Moly! These sculpture gardens are huge! There are so many sculptures and I didn't even know they were there! Turns out American Idol had it right, there is a huge cherry on a spoon, right there in Minneapolis. And boy, is it gorgeous! The "Spoonbridge and Cherry" is the focal point of the gardens, and there are so many others there, too, that it took us probably 3 hours to stroll the many acres. It is fun to just hang out there for an afternoon, taking in the artsy side of MPLS.

A great feature of the gardens is a bridge you can cross, spanning right above the 6 lanes of I-94. It's kinda freaky at first, walking above the traffic, but then it sets in and is very cool! The gardens are also cool to see from above. Knowing me and photography, I had fun thinking up different angles and different opportunities.

As much of a secret as the sculpture gardens are in Minneapolis, I would tell all my friends about it. It is a great place to go for relaxation, to study, to take your kids and let them loose, or to just come see another unique side of Minneapolis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment